- Ashish Sharma, M.D., Wins 2019 Alan T. Hirsch Award
April 17, 2019
Ashish Sharma’s, M.D., abstract entitled “Noninvasive Spect Imaging Using A Novel Formyl Peptide Receptor Ligand Can Be Used To Diagnose And Monitor Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms” has...
- Thomas Huber, M.D., Ph.D., Receives David A. Paulus Award for Clinical Excellence
April 11, 2019
The UF Department of Surgery is excited to announce that Thomas Huber, M.D., Ph.D., is the 2019 recipient of the David A. Paulus Award for Clinical Excellence. This award is bestowed […]
- Amanda Filiberto, M.D., Receives Medical Student/General Surgery Resident Scholarship
April 3, 2019
The UF Department of Surgery’s third-year resident Amanda Filiberto, M.D., has been selected by the Society of Vascular Surgery to receive a Medical Student/General Surgery Resident Travel...
- UF Earns Prestigious 3 Stars for 2018 VQI Participation Awards
March 15, 2019
The UF Division of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy is pleased to announce its outstanding score in the 2018 VQI Participation Awards. The Vascular Quality Initiative, or VQI, is a […]
- Woodward Society Spring Meeting 2019
February 20, 2019
Thank you to everyone who joined us at the UF Department of Surgery’s Woodward Society Spring Meeting! We had a fantastic day of presentations and networking with fellow surgeons from […]
- UF Department of Surgery Represents at SAVS’ 43rd Annual Meeting
January 29, 2019
The UF Health Department of Surgery is proud to announce its incredible, successful representation at the Southern Association for Vascular Surgery 43rd Annual Meeting on Jan. 23-26 in Boca Raton,...
- Kristina Giles, M.D., Inducted into SAVS
January 26, 2019
The UF Department of Surgery is pleased to announce that Kristina Giles, M.D., has been inducted into the Southern Association for Vascular Surgery. SAVS promotes the art and science of […]
- Five Department of Surgery Faculty Recognized as Exemplary Teachers
October 26, 2018
The following Department of Surgery faculty members have been recognized by the University of Florida as 2018 Exemplary Teachers: Jessica Cioffi, MD – assistant professor, division of surgical...
- Lyle Moldawer, Jose Trevino and Thomas Huber named University Term Professors
September 28, 2018
Three University of Florida Department of Surgery faculty have been named among the 2018-2019 University Term Professors through the UF College of Medicine. Lyle Moldawer, PhD, is a professor of...
- High-Tech Hospitals
May 23, 2018
At the heart of UF Health’s two new hospitals are their ORs – surgical suites packed with the latest technology.
- Vascular surgery division earns top honors
March 26, 2018
The UF Department of Surgery’s division of vascular surgery and endovascular therapy has again earned the highest rating from a nationwide quality initiative collaboration. UF is among 40...
- Gilbert R. Upchurch Jr., M.D., named chair of the UF Department of Surgery
November 1, 2017
Gilbert R. Upchurch Jr., M.D., has been selected as the new chair of the department of surgery at the University of Florida College of Medicine following a national search. He […]
- Dean J. Arnaoutakis, M.D., M.B.A., joins division of vascular surgery and endovascular therapy
August 21, 2017
Dean J. Arnaoutakis, M.D., M.B.A., has joined the University of Florida College of Medicine as an assistant professor in the division of vascular surgery and endovascular therapy. Arnaoutakis earned...
- Scott Berceli, M.D., Ph.D., and Philip Efron, M.D., FACS, FCCM, named University Term Professors
April 14, 2017
Two University of Florida Department of Surgery faculty have been named among the 2016-2017 University Term Professors through the UF College of Medicine. Scott A. Berceli, M.D., Ph.D., is a […]
- Thomas S. Huber, M.D., Ph.D., appointed to vascular surgery board
April 10, 2017
Thomas S. Huber, M.D., Ph.D., a professor and chief of the division of vascular surgery and endovascular therapy in the UF College of Medicine, has been appointed to the Vascular […]
- Man survives ruptured aorta, thanks to UF Health
February 20, 2017
It was a normal Sunday afternoon for Ralph and Joan Glaeser. In January 2016, the Gainesville couple were returning from church and a trip to the grocery store when Ralph, […]
- Martin Back, M.D., joins UF Department of Surgery
December 6, 2016
Martin R. Back, M.D., M.S., R.V.T., P.V.I., joins the University of Florida Department of Surgery as a professor in the division of vascular surgery and endovascular therapy. He will begin […]
- Read the Fall 2016 issue of The Stitch
November 1, 2016
- UF Department of Surgery’s division of vascular surgery and endovascular therapy earns top honors
March 2, 2016
The UF Department of Surgery’s division of vascular surgery and endovascular therapy has earned the highest rating from a nationwide quality initiative collaboration. UF is among 37...
- Surgery Resident Presents at National Conference
February 16, 2016
Jonathan Rehfuss, MD, a general surgery resident at the UF College of Medicine, recently presented a research project at the Academic Surgical Congress, held Feb. 2-4 in Jacksonville, Florida. His...
- Seven UF surgeons named “Top Doctor” by Castle Connolly
September 25, 2015
Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., a well-known organization that rates health care providers, has named eight UF surgeons among the nation’s “top doctors” for 2015: Kenneth Andreoni, M.D.,...
- UF Department of Surgery Debuts Progress Report
May 26, 2015
- UF surgeons honored at College of Medicine faculty appreciation event
May 8, 2015
Three UF surgeons were recognized at the UF College of Medicine faculty appreciation event held in April at the UF president’s home. Tim Flynn, M.D., a professor in the department […]
- Berceli receives UF Research Foundation Professorship award
April 22, 2015
Scott Berceli, M.D., Ph.D., a professor in the department of surgery’s division of vascular surgery and endovascular therapy, has received a University of Florida Research Foundation Professorship...
- UF vascular surgeon speaks at VCU, his alma mater
April 14, 2015
Robert Feezor, M.D., an assistant professor in the UF department of surgery’s division of vascular surgery and endovascular therapy, recently was invited to speak at Virginia Commonwealth...
- Study by UF vascular surgery researchers receives honor from The American Physiological Society
April 6, 2015
A recently published paper authored by Zhihua Jiang, Ph.D., an assistant professor in the UF department of surgery’s division of vascular surgery and endovascular therapy, and a team of other...
- UF Health surgeon receives FDA exemption to test aortic aneurysm repair devices
January 29, 2015
A surgeon at University of Florida Health is currently the only researcher in the nation conducting a study of three specific, unique types of devices to treat aortic aneurysms. Adam […]
- UF Health breaks ground for new Heart & Vascular Hospital, Neuromedicine Hospital
January 23, 2015
University of Florida Health broke ground today for the UF Health Heart & Vascular Hospital and the UF Health Neuromedicine Hospital, a $415 million project that will give rise to […]
- Two more vascular surgeons join UF department of surgery
October 28, 2014
The UF department of surgery’s division of vascular surgery has welcomed two new surgeons. Javairiah Fatima, M.B., B.S., and Kristina Giles, M.D., are both assistant professors of surgery. Fatima...
- UF surgeons elected to national medical honor society
March 17, 2014
Saleem Islam, M.D., M.P.H., an associate professor of surgery in the department’s division of pediatric surgery, and Gabriela Velasquez, M.D., a fellow in the division of vascular surgery and...
- New faculty member joins department of surgery’s division of vascular surgery
December 23, 2013
Alyson Waterman, M.D., M.P.H., joined the department as a faculty member in August. She earned her medical degree and completed her general surgery residency and vascular surgery fellowship at the...
- Assistant professor earns UF Excellence Award
July 29, 2013
Zhihua Jiang, Ph.D., an assistant professor in the University of Florida department of surgery’s division of vascular surgery, has received an Excellence Award for Assistant Professors from the UF...
- UF&Shands one of first facilities approved to use drug-coated stent for peripheral artery disease
March 14, 2013
UF&Shands, the University of Florida’s Academic Health Center, is one of 12 institutions nationwide initially approved to implant a new device for treatment of peripheral artery disease.
- Society for Vascular Surgery highlights UF surgeon’s volunteer work
March 7, 2013
Robert J. Feezor, MD, assistant professor of surgery in the division of vascular surgery and endovascular therapy in the University of Florida College of Medicine in Gainsville, Florida, has recently...
- UF surgeons, alumni become fellows in American College of Surgeons
October 22, 2012
Eight UF surgeons and three graduates of UF’s surgical residency program were initiated in September as fellows in the American College of Surgeons. The convocation took place in Chicago following...
- Vascular study group grows to include Georgia medical centers
October 16, 2012
The Florida Vascular Study Group has joined with medical centers in Georgia to become the Florida-Georgia Vascular Study Group, a regional group under the auspices of the Society for Vascular...
- Ten UF surgeons named “top doctors”
October 2, 2012
Physician rankings on U.S. News & World Reports’ website show 10 UF surgeons are among the nation’s “top doctors,” as determined by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., a well-known organization...
- Research Day 2012
May 15, 2012
The department of surgery held its eighth annual Research Day on April 18, 2012. Ronald V. Maier, MD, the Jane and Donald D. Trunkey Professor and Vice Chair of Surgery […]
- UF surgeons among national leaders in endovascular aortic disease repairs
February 9, 2012
UF&Shands is one of the nation’s premier destinations for endovascular treatment of aortic aneurysms and dissections. Endovascular repairs are minimally invasive and do not require the large...
- UF vascular surgeons hold first meeting of statewide study group
November 8, 2011
The Florida Vascular Study Group, FVSG, which fosters collaboration statewide among physicians and hospitals to collect and analyze clinical data from patients undergoing vascular procedures, held its...
- Eight UF surgeons included among country’s “top doctors”
August 12, 2011
Physician rankings on U.S. News & World Reports’ website show eight UF surgeons are among the nation’s “top doctors,” as determined by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., a well-known...
- UF vascular surgeons form statewide study group
June 29, 2011
Surgeons in the UF division of vascular surgery and endovascular therapy have created the Florida Vascular Study Group, FVSG, which fosters collaboration statewide among physicians and hospitals to...
- Berceli wins UF’s College of Medicine Clinical Science Research Award
March 16, 2011
Basic, clinical and translational science researchers from across the College of Medicine shared their research and sowed the seeds of new collaborations during the 2011 Celebration of Research held...
- Flynn elected chair of ACS board of governors
December 1, 2010
Dr. Timothy C. Flynn, senior associate dean for clinical affairs at the UF College of Medicine and chief medical officer for Shands at UF, now chairs the American College of […]
- Two aneurysm repairs help man remain active
October 9, 2010
When Frank Andrews learned he had a massive aneurysm in his lower abdomen in 2003, he called his son, a physician living in California and a graduate of University of […]
- A double success
October 9, 2010
Ralph Johnson likes to take nature walks in his hometown of Hernando, Florida. But for a long time, medical problems made it difficult for him to enjoy his usual stroll. […]
- Climbing mountains
October 9, 2010
Terry Clark has suffered from painful and unsightly varicose veins in her legs for years. She called the veins “my mess.” The source of much “discomfort and pain,” varicose veins […]
- Flynn named to leadership posts at UF, Shands
September 14, 2010
Dr. Timothy C. Flynn has been named senior associate dean for clinical affairs at the University of Florida College of Medicine and chief medical officer for Shands at UF.
- New chief of vascular surgery named
May 26, 2010
Thomas S. Huber, M.D., Ph.D., who joined UF’s College of Medicine more than 15 years ago, is the new chief of vascular surgery and endovascular therapy in the department of […]
- Devoted chief of vascular surgery passes away
November 10, 2009
Dr. James M. Seeger, professor and chief of vascular surgery and endovascular therapy, died Wednesday, Oct. 21. He was 62. Dr. Seeger, an internationally recognized leader in the field of […]